.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ashley's Trips

This blog initially began as a way for me to share my backpacking adventures through Europe with my friends and family back home. It continues to document my new adventures even though I have returned...

Monday, September 12, 2005

New Grange, Ireland


Bru na Boinne in County Meath. They look like random hills along the countryside but in fact they are man-made structures. I can't tell you how many Irish people I have met that have never been out to see these amazing mounds (Although I have never been to the Grand Canyon). They were constructed 500 years before Stonehenge and 1000 years prior to the pyramids making each structure approximately 5000 years old.




They really are impressive structures. New Grange is featured here. It is one of the largest structures in the county and the only one that tourists are allowed to enter. The inside is a long hallway that ends with three corners that were believed to have been used in burial rituals.







The amazing this is that the slit seen above our heads allows sunlight into the passageway only a few days out of the year during the winter solstice. The passage way is completely lit up and allows full visibility for only a few minutes. How they figured that one out I will never know.









Here is Crystal in our handy dandy rental car. I can't tell you how many times we accidentally walked to the wrong sides of the car because everything was on the opposite side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home